Generalized solution (occurs > n/k times) with extensive discussion and proof, heavily commented (JAVA)

Goal: for an array of size n and an arbitrary int k, find any number that occurs more than n/k times.

Runtime complexity: O(nk), guaranteed to be at most O(n^2) for any n and k
Space complexity: O(k), guaranteed to be at most O(n) for any n and k
In this problem where k=3, that’s O(n) and O(1)

Idea: Generate final candidates, then verify that they occur > n/k times. The final candidates list is guaranteed to have at least one of the numbers that occur more than n/k times (if there is any such number), but not every final candidate necessarily occurred over n/k times. We gather the candidates first, then verify that they occurred the requisite number of times.

Execution: At most k-1 distinct numbers can occur more than n/k times (convince yourself that k or more is too much), so we only need to keep track of k-1 distinct potential final candidates. Go through the array to build the candidates. For each candidate, maintain a counter. When this counter is zero (as it will be initially), we switch the candidate to the current number (or invalidate it if the number is already a candidate). We increase the counter when the number is the same as the candidate and decrease the counter each time k-1 numbers are different from the candidate.

Why this works: Suppose x is any number that occurs exactly n/k times. To completely cancel out x from the candidates list, we would need to decrease its count a total of n/k times. Each decrease in the count requires k-1 occurrences of numbers that are not x. Hence we would need a total of (k-1)*n/k occurrences that are not x to ensure that x is not in the final candidates list. If we count the total number of numbers including x that we needed to use to ensure this, we have n/k + (k-1)*n/k = n/k + n - n/k = n. Hence, to exclude x from the final candidates list, we needed to use all the numbers in the array.

Note that we assumed that x occurs exactly n/k times, but in reality we want it to occur more than that. If x occurs any amount more than n/k times, it will require more elements than we have available to completely nullify it. Therefore, any number that gets its count increased more than n/k times is guaranteed to remain in the candidates list.

Code:
public class Solution {
// DO NOT MODIFY THE LIST

public int repeatedNumber(final List<Integer> a) {
    int n = a.size();
    if (n == 0) return -1; // 0 reps <= 0/k
    int k = 3; // want any number that repeats more than n/k times
    if (n/k == 0) return a.get(0); // first number repeats 1>n/k<1
    // n >= k
    Integer[] cands = new Integer[k-1]; // different candidates
    int[] cts = new int[k-1]; // counts for the candidates
    int[] numDiff = new int[k-1];
    // how many numbers have been different since last decrement for candidate c
    // cts[c] should be decremented when numDiff[c]==k-1

// check which numbers survive cancellation
    // results in final candidates
    for (int i = 0; i < n; i++) {
        int num = a.get(i);
        boolean alreadyCand = false; // used to ensure candidates are different
        // determine if num already candidate and update cts/diffs
        for (int c=0; c<k-1; c++) {
            Integer cand = cands[c];
            if (cand != null) {
                if (cand == num) {
                    alreadyCand = true;
                    cts[c]++;
                } else { // cand != num
                    int cDiff = numDiff[c] + 1;
                    if (cDiff == k-1) {
                        cts[c]--;
                        cDiff = 0;
                    }
                    numDiff[c] = cDiff;
                }
            }
        }
        // make a candidate switch and nullify remaining 0-ct candidates
        for (int c=0; c<k-1; c++) {
            if (cts[c] == 0) {
                if (!alreadyCand) {
                    cands[c] = num;
                    cts[c] = 1;
                    alreadyCand = true;
                } else {
                    cands[c] = null;
                }
            }
        }
    }

// verify if a candidate occurs requisite min number of times
    int moreThan = n/k; // result must occurs more than moreThan times
    Arrays.fill(cts, 0); // reset the counts
    for (int i=0; i<n; i++) {
        int num = a.get(i);
        for (int c=0; c < k-1; c++) {
            Integer cand = cands[c];
            if (cand != null && cand == num) {
                int ct = cts[c] + 1;
                if (ct > moreThan) {
                    return num;
                }
                cts[c] = ct;
            }
        }
    }
    return -1;
}

}

Quick question! I don’t understand why k-1 potential candidate?

I looked it up online, but did not understand why we choose 2, for N/3 (Moore’s voting algorithm’s extension)

first you need to understand that what does it mean for any given k.
for ex: for k=3, we need to find out number which occur more than n/3 times, that would be atleast (n/3+1) times.
now if there are 3 such elements then sum of there appearance would be 3*(n/3+1) = n+3, which is more than 3, hence you can only have at max 2 elements which occur more than n/3 times

similarly for a given k, there can be atmost k-1 items which would appear more than n/k times.

Hope this clears things up a bit.

Sorry for the late response! This is my first time checking back on the thread since posting…

Imagine that there were exactly k distinct numbers that occur more than n/k times. Then we would have more than k * n/k = n elements. But we can’t have more than n elements since the array only contains exactly n elements. So there can’t be k (or more) distinct elements that occur more than n/k times.

To answer your other question, k is too much, so let’s check k-1, the next smallest number.

Imagine that there were exactly k-1 distinct numbers that each occur more than n/k times. Then there would be more than (k-1)*n/k = n - n/k. Well, it is possible to have more than n - n/k elements in an array of n elements, so it is definitely possible to have at least k-1 distinct candidates. We also showed that we must have fewer than k candidates (see previous reply). So k-1 is the highest possible number we need to keep track of.