Why isn't it O(nlogn)

Someone said
" try to think this way:
for the first iteration of the outer loop, the inner loop need to run N times, the second iteration of the outer loop, the inner loop need to run N/2 times, third iteration, N/4 times, so add them up, you’ll get N + N/2 + N/4 + … + 1, which is 2N-1, and asymptoticly O(N) "

I can give a similar argument for this loop
for(i = 0; i < n; i ++) {
for(j = 0; j < n; j++) {
}
}

The inner loop runs n times for the first iteration, then again n times for the second iteration, and so on… so its n + n + n… = O(n)

:frowning:

For your question:
for(i = 0; i < n; i ++) {
for(j = 0; j < n; j++) {
}
}
For 1st iteration : N times
For 2nd iteration : N times

For N iteration : N times

Sum up all iterations = N + N + … + N
= N(1+1+…+1 ( N times) ) = N^2
Therefore, O(N^2) :slight_smile:

The series summation of the outer loop is not O(logN).The series is 1 + 1/2 + 1/4 + 1/8 … rather then 1+1/2+1/3…So the r of the infinite series will be 1/2.

Cause the 2nd loop is dependent on the first loop so we need to unroll the loops and solve it ,we cannot multiply it directly.

ishansoni22, for nested loop example, why isn’t the time complexity = O(n^2)?
You only took into account the inner loop. What about the outer loop? I think that’s where I’m confused about for the original question too. I thought outer loop is (logn) and inner loop is (n), therefore it should be (nlogn), where is my logic incorrect?

I think what ishansoni22 meant was O(n^2) because we can clearly see it has inner loop and takes N times for inner loop and N times for outer loop

Thanks Devansh. Your reply makes everything clear now.